Friday, November 04, 2005

I landed safe and sound in Kaula Lumpur yesterday afternoon -- after probably the longest trip I've ever taken. Eight hours to Anchorage Alaska, then 11 hours to Taipei before changing planes and continuing on the last 4 hours to KL. The flight was uneventful -- my favorite kind. I forced myself to stay awake until 8 p.m. After that I had to get some sleep. Well I conked out and slept for 10 hours -- so hopefully I'm on the right sleep cycle now. We shall see.

Today is a work day -- so no sight seeing today. Perhaps later tonight. I did take a quick trip out to pick up some food and -- funny story -- decided to get my hair cut. It's so hot here -- I can't stand having any extra hair on my head. I stopped at a salon that looked pretty cool -- with some stylish and funky suroundings. The place was small --and empty except for a very tall, exceptionally beautiful Malay woman. She wasn't Muslim since she wasn't covering her head and was wearing some pretty provocative western style clothes. Just a tight, half midriff t-shirt, some hip hugger jeans and some rockin loop earrings. She had that long straight hair so many Asian women do and just a stunning delicate face.

I asked if I could get my hair cut and she nodded and pointed to a chair. I sat down and she sprayed my head with water and began straight away with the scissors -- not saying a word -- not even asking me what kind of style I'd like. After a couple of minutes, she asked me if I was a tourist visiting Malaysia. She obviously didn't get a lot of white guys dropping in to her salon. Oh wow! It was as if James Earl Jones just spoke! I told her I arrived yesterday and was there on business. While I spoke I discreetly looked more closely at her face in the mirror in front of me. Lots of make-up, broad shoulders, and -- right there -- there it was -- the Adam's Apple! Ok, that's cool. I'm getting my hair cut by a hip transsexual chick -- and I notice she's making eye contact while she continues to cut my hair. She asks how long I am here for. I say a few months. She asks if I'm staying with friends. I tell her I'm staying at a hotel. Then it comes -- she asks if I am travelling with my wife or if I'm alone -- while she bores her eyes into me in the mirror. Oh my god, she's hitting on me! I tell her I'm alone, while I look away and tighten up my shoulders just a bit. She takes the hint and finishes up without any more questions. I do have to "pay" for my sin though since she tells me at the cash register that today the price is double the advertised rate -- the sign over her head clearly says hair cuts are $38 ringgets -- because today is Hari Raya. Ok, I know it's Hari Raya and people don 't usually work on the holiday, but she's clearly not Muslim and the salon was open. Don't you think she could have told me she was going to charge me double before she cut my hair? Of well, it's hard to complain. The hair cut was good and still cost me about a quarter of what it would have cost in New York. And I got a funny story to tell to boot!

By the way, today is Hari Raya, the last day of Ramadan, a huge day of celebration for Muslims. Everyone is wearing their bright colorful silk clothes -- defintely not the western wear you usually see. Everyone is in a very festive mood! Although the city is very quiet, since most people have gone back to their villages to celebrate with their extended families.

More soon!

5 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT is the funniest travel story I've heard in a long time! Leave it to you to be on the ground for less than 24 hours and already getting hit on by the trannies. If this is a harbinger of the next three months ahead -- ay yi yi. Should be an interesting three months, to say the least.

I love the name you chose for your blog. So much more original than the usual.

Happy Hari Raya. (Which is an expression I don't believe I've ever had an opportunity to convey before, come to think of it.) Love, D

PS: Wouldn't you know your very first comment of all of them would be spam? You can probably find a way to delete those, but talk about irritating!

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom: May you live in exciting times
But the "old media" is alive and well here at Corporate Headquarters and missing you. Beware things related to highway construction projects and don't go too crazy with your interest free credit. Payback is a bitch.
Hope you are doing well, and best of luck on your assignment!
-George

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom -- the blog is a great idea. How ever did you think of it? :-) I wonder if you will ever be able to top the tranny haircut story. I suppose, since you live in exciting times, that is just the first in a series of wild tales we will be reading. Grateful for the link to Derek's blog as well -- or may I call him Pooky?

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Tom said...

To Tim:

"or may I call him Pooky?"

I encourage it!

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,

That is a great story. Talk about "The year of living dangerously"! Though, that was Indonesia....

Tom's Pengembaraan is going to be a great read.

The tranny haridresser. Ramadan. An exotic asian city in quasi-capitalistic and dictatorial regime.

Now, all you just need is to get involved in a CIA operation and we're halfway to Hollywood.

Keep having fun!

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home