Wednesday, November 23, 2005

I moved to a new hotel. I was in a Meridien but decided to move to the Hilton. Even though the Hilton is in the same complex I was in before -- the 2 hotels share the same grounds, pools and spa -- it is much more conducive for a longer-term stay. For one, there are many more business people, especially expats, who are staying here. In fact, I made a new friend, Gary, who's another IBMer here on a short-term assignment. He's lives in Hong Kong but is originally from the U.K. He convinced me that the Hilton was a better deal -- and he was right. My room here is really cool. 35" flat screen TV, floating platform bed, gray slate floors and a huge white marble bath. The separate shower has one of those "rain"-type shower heads where the water comes out of the ceiling. And the housekeeper comes in every night and lights an aromatherapy candle that makes the room smell nice. I am going to be so spoiled by the time I leave. Who will light my aromatherapy candle when I am back at home? And who will leave me dates and chocolates on my pillow?

I had the hotel do my laundry. It cost me $550 ringgits, which equals about $150 US. I think I'll find a laundromat for next time. I finally got a new SIM card for my mobile phone so I am able to make calls from my cell. Voice-over-Internet is an intriguing idea but it's not really ready for prime time.

I love Madonna's new video, Hung Up. MTV Asia plays it about once an hour. I wonder if it's getting any play in the U.S. since she's not exactly on the cutting edge of the music industry these days. I don't care -- that song rocks.

Randi lent me The Kite Runner before I left and I cracked it open the other day. What a great book! I'm already about 2/3rds through.

I'm thinking of catching a bus and heading down to Singapore this weekend. It's so close -- it seems silly not to see it. But I'm really more excited about the next trip I'm planning. I'm going to take a Friday off and head out to one of the islands off the east coast of Malaysia -- Pualu Tioman. Just white sand, blue sky, palm trees, a hammock, and pina coladas. A Bali Ha'i fantasy!

6 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who will light my aromatherapy candle when I am back at home? And who will leave me dates and chocolates on my pillow?

These questions were asked only as a rhetorical device, right?

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger Tom said...

These questions were asked only as a rhetorical device, right?

no, I really want to know.

 
At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pulau Tioman? Did you managed to get your white sand, blue sky, palm trees, a hammock, and pina coladas? From what i heard P. Tioman is getting dirtier. It aint as pretty as before. Not well maintained. For pretty island with clean clear water you could try looking for islands around Johor: Pulau Rawa, Pulau Besar.. Or Pulau Perhentian which is located on the east coast of the peninsular (Terengganu). But then, now's not the best time for islands located in the south china sea. Dangerous monsoon tides.

Hope you had a great time in Tioman!

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, a floating bed -- that sounds pretty awesome.

But beware of those dates, Tom! Remember the moneky in Indiana Jones? Dnager! Danger!

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Tom... Madonna's new song is getting ALMOST as much airtime (MTV and radio) here as it is there. I like it too, but I'm just on the verge of getting sick of watching her dance around in those ugly leotards! :-)

I heard on the news this morning that her new song jumped up to No. 7 on the Billboard singles chart, and now she's tied with Elvis Presley for the most Top 10 hits for artists in the rock era. They each have 36 now, although chances are better that Madonna might beat Elvis out ... unless he figures out a way to get another Top 10 hit from the Great Beyond! LOL!

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Tom said...

I like it too, but I'm just on the verge of getting sick of watching her dance around in those ugly leotards! :-)

You don't like the leotard??!! That's the best part!! A 46-year old soccer mom practicing her moves for the dance floor. And getting jiggy with the homeys on the subway. Makes me giggle.

Although I do have to admit, I've burned out on the song by now. Too much air play. Madonna, poor girl. That's the thing about her; she's the kind of girl who shows up at a party and you're like "yea, Madonna is here!" And then after a while you end up wishing she would just go home already.

I'm glad to see she can still pull a few rabbits out of her hat -- even after all these years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home