Saturday, January 28, 2006

So for the past few weeks, the Hilton has been hyping a Queen "tribute" band with big posters in the lobby, signs on the elevator and clips of the concert on the in-house TV channel. I've always been a big Queen fan (stop snickering . . . right now), since I was a teenager in Ohio and I first heard "Rhapsody in Blue." I have to admit, every time I saw one of those ads, the adrenyln pumped in me just a bit and I was curious. Normally I'm a big cynic . . the first to roll my eyes at such schlock . .but this was a "Queen" tribute. That made it different. :-)

Anyway, the day of the concert, Gary, Tony and I were in the lounge having dinner and I admitted to them that I kind of wanted to go check it out, but didn't buy a ticket in time. Oh well, too late now. I get back to my room about 9 p.m. and Gary calls and tells me he scored 2 comp tickets and asks if I want to go down to the ballroom and check it out. "Duh!" Don't need to ask me twice.

I already had a few drinks in me from dinner and as soon as we got there we started with beer on tap. It wasn't long before all my inhibitions came down. I was dancing and swaying and clapping like a school girl. After a while we shared a cigar . . . and if that wasn't the icing on the cake. I was flying high. Later, when I was telling Derek about all this, he said, "You totally went all 'Will Farrell' on Gary, didn't you?" and I have to admit that is exactly what I did. I was completely Will Farrell in "Old School." Woooo wooo . . . Par-tay!

I had a great time. The band was a really good copy -- I could have had the same experience with the real thing and come away totally satisfied that I went to a great Queen concert. . . .which I never had the chance to do for real. So, what the hey . .
Anyway, go here to see the pictues.

2 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, I have to admit I too am a closet Queen Groupie. The last time I saw them was on Live Aid. Its great you got to see this band. By the way Tom Wopat is at the Emline theatre in Mamaroneck soon but I know he will also be at Feinsteins..thought you should know.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Tom said...

Ah, Tommy Wopat. I've downloaded a few of his songs from iTunes to keep me company while I'm here. If he'll be at the Emline or Feinstein's in March, after I'm back Stateside, let's go together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home